WHAT IS DARK PONY?
The inspiration for Dark Pony Designs comes from an old folk tale called "Dark Pony". My mom would tell me this story at bed time when I was little. I really love the imagery this little story invokes. Here is a snippet from the original childrens' reader that dates from the early 1940's:
"Every night a little dark pony came running along the road.
Every night his four little feet came galloping, galloping, galloping.
His color was dark, and he came at dark.
One night a boy met Dark Pony running along the road.
The little boy called,
"Please take me down to Sleepy Town."
Dark Pony stopped running.
Up jumped the little boy, and away they went.
Galloping, galloping, galloping.
How happy they all were!
They sang and sang and sang.
Soon Dark Pony began to go slower and slower and slower and slower.
He was coming to Sleepy Town."
For me the horse is the vehicle to escaping reality, and Sleeping Town is a place of fantasy where you can live your dreams. A little mysterious and dark, but fun and clever. Whenever I design I hope those ideas are evident in the end result.
This miiiight be my FAVORITE mission statement EVER. Reading this woke a feeling of happiness inside me, I was enchanted; Oddly enough, it evoked a very similar feeling as when I hear negro spirituals. I felt like I could overcome. I was immersed in hope. I welcomed truimph. I desperately wanted to go to sleepy town...where I could live my dreams and be carefree; What a perfect mission. What a wonderful fairy tale. GK Chesterton said, "Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
Here is a little bit MORE about Dark Pony:
Dark Pony Designs is inspired by playful frivolity... A wardrobe for the party girl who eats the cake, rides the pony and looks good doing it! Ultimately, Dark Pony Designs is about having fun, embracing life and creating fashion forward handmade clothing, jewelry, and accessories that use vintage or eco-friendly components. Each high quality item is made by hand.
Robin is the owner and operator of Dark Pony Designs. Here is a little bit about Robin:
BIO: I am a home-schooling mom to two wonderful boys happily residing with my husband in Northern California. I live on what most people would consider to be a farm with a Great Dane, and 2 cats. Riding horses is my idea of freedom, organic gardeners are my heroes, I am a full time magazine whore, occasional model, fashion blogger, etsy seller, and fashion lover. Before opening this shop, I created mixed media collages, worked as a local gallery director and tried my hand a black and white photography.
FAVORITE FASHION DESIGNERS John Galliano, Karl Lagerfeld, the late Alexander McQueen, Viktor and Rolf, Balmain, Marc Jacobs, Isaac Mizrahi, Proenza Schouler, Dolce and Gabbana and Jean Paul Gaultier, Betsey Johnson, Patricia Field, YSL, 2BitchezDeep, just to name a few.
ART WORLD INSPIRATION Andy Warhol, Helmut Newton, Jean Micheal Basquiat, Keith Harring, Frieda Kahlo, and Vincent Vangogh
To learn more about me you can visit:
Proud member of the indie free spirits team! IFSTEAM
ALSO Visit Robin's Vintage Stores...
rubymanchester17.etsy.com women's clothing/accessories
velvetraven.etsy.com housewares and more
Robin's 10 year old son has a store she maintains:
Here are a FEW of my favorite things:
Dark Pony Designs sent me the Black Sparkle Mustache Eco Felt Gold Chain Necklace...THIS IS SUCH A FUN NECKLACE!
Cute little package :)
BEAUTIFUL business cards
How cute is that?!
My three little boys LOOOOVE it when I wear it like this! Ok, my four boys...Jay, the old man, HE LOVES THIS NECKLACE!
THANK YOU Dark Pony Designs for sponsoring our next giveaway!
Ever wanted to go undercover? Join the circus? Well, now you can!
Dark Pony Designs is giving the winner of this giveaway their very own Black Sparkle Mustache Eco Felt Gold Chain Necklace!!!
Robin made this mustache from eco-felt and covered it with fine black glitter. Each charm is cut and embellished by hand.
Hangs from a beautiful golden necklace. So fun! 10" drop
Here is how you enter:
(THE FIRST ENTRY IS REQUIRED)
1. Follow me through Google Friend Connect. Leave a comment on this post letting my know that you follow through google friend and provide me with your email address. (one entry)
(THESE ENTRIES ARE OPTIONAL)
2. Get a friend to follow 'my big girl pants' through Google Friend Connect. Leave me a comment with the name of the person you recruited and provide with me your email address. (one entry)
3. Subscribe to my blog via email. Leave me a comment saying that you have subscribed via email and provide me with your email address.
5. Follow me on twitter @VanessaIaquinta and tweet this giveaway! Make sure you tag me and Dark Pony Designs and leave a comment (with your email) telling me you tweeted this giveaway! You can tweet EVERYDAY and it will count as a new entry EVERYDAY!!! DO IT!
6. "Like" Dark Pony Designs on Facebook (HERE). Leave me a comment telling me you "like" Dark Pony Designs on FB and provide me with your email address.
7. Post this giveaway on FB, make sure you tag me and Dark Pony Designs (Friend me HERE). Leave a comment letting my know you posted it on FB and provide me with your email address.
8. Sign up to receive Dark Pony Designs newsletter http://darkponydesigns.blogspot.com/. Leave me a comment telling me you signed up for the newsletter and provide me with your email address.
11. BUY something from Dark Pony Designs. Leave me a comment telling me you made a purchase and provide me with your email address. (5 entries--this means, if you purchase something, you must leave me 5 separate comments in order to earn your 5 entries.)
This giveaway will end May 7th at 11:59pm